This Weekend on the Vineyard
It’s the perfect weekend for island festivities as the sun finally shows up across the island.
The torrential downpours have subsided, the sun is out, and summer is upon us on Martha’s Vineyard. We’ve selected our top three events for each day of this weekend to help you kick off the season in style.
Friday June 16th
- Preview local photographer Milena Lowe’s exhibition at the Martha’s Vineyard Museum from 5:00pm to 7:00pm. The series of photos, titled the Local Immigrants Project, highlights people from across the globe who are now year-round residents.
- Batter up! Head to the Shark Tank at 6:35pm to see America’s Favorite Pastime, island style.
- At 8:00pm attend the 39th annual Bloomsday, a performance of music, drama, and song that celebrates the work of James Joyce, at the Katharine Cornell Theater in Vineyard Haven.
Saturday June 17th
- Start your morning by perusing the produce at the West Tisbury Farmers Market, starting at 9:00 am.
- Kids will love the Midsummer Faerie Festival at Washington Park in Oak Bluffs. Music performances, magic shows, workshops, and a costume contest (where you can win some cash!) are sure to delight. Come anytime from 10:00am to 5:00pm for some free fun in the park.
- If the Faerie Fest isn’t your style, meander down to the waterfront for the Oak Bluffs Harborfest. From 11:00am to 8:00pm there will be food, raffles, and local artisans among the many vendors.
Sunday June 18th
- Celebrate Father’s Day at the annual Car-B-Q in Edgartown, kicking off at 10:00am. The procession and car show of classic automobiles is followed by a delicious outdoor barbeque.
- Keep the celebration going at Cape Pogue, Chappaquiddick, where dads row for free on the kayak/paddleboard tour of Poucha Pond. Make a reservation between 9:00am and 5:00pm.
- Come to the Grange Hall in West Tisbury from 10:00am to 2:00pm for the Vineyard Artisans Summer Festival. Find a Father’s Day gift among the paintings, sculpture, clothing, books, and more at this weekly event.