Lots going on in the Charleston, SC, area in April, including the Family Circle Cup at Daniel Island which will hold its semifinals and final this weekend. For boaters, see below. Marine Events in the Low Country Waterways, compiled by WaterwayGuide.com.
1. As part of the Charleston Ocean Racing Association (CORA), the scheduled sailboat regatta for the month of April is as follows: - Sheriff’s Cup to Bohicket - Saturday 30 April. For more information please contact Mr. Mike Palazzo of CORA at (843) 693-6453.
2. 12 April - The Town of James Island and Fort Johnson will be sponsoring a ceremonial firing of a siege mortar with a 4lb black powder charge blank from a point on Fort Johnson in the direction of Fort Sumter at around 6:30 a.m. on Tuesday.
Coordinated with the firing of the mortar, the South Carolina National Guard will be firing a star burst shell to simulate the original signal for the batteries to commence firing. For more information please contact Mr. Doug Bostick at (843) 513-5456.
3. 14-17 April – Charleston Maritime Foundation and Charleston Ocean Racing Association will be hosting the Charleston Race Week 2011 on Thursday through Sunday. Approximately 300 sailboats will be racing in the Charleston Harbor in 3 specific race areas and offshore on the Atlantic Ocean in 2 specific race areas. For more information on the races courses please refer to MSIB 13-11 or contact Mr. Danny Havens of the South Carolina Maritime foundation at (843) 722-1030 Extension 18.
4. 15-16 April – Hilton Head Harbor Marina is hosting the 7th Annual Hilton Head Harbor Wahoo Shootout Friday and Saturday. Approximately 34 center console sport fishing boats ranging 26’ to 50’ in length will be participating in the waters surrounding Hilton Head Marina. For more information please contact Marc Pincus at (843) 298-0377.
5. 17 April – The town of Mount Pleasant will be hosting their Bless of the Fleet and Seafood Festival on Sunday. With approximately 20 vessels ranging in size from 20’ to 75’, the commercial shrimp boats will leave from Shem Creek toward the mouth of the harbor. For more information please contact Chairperson Ms. Ann R. Magwood at (843) 884-6869.
6. 21-23 April - Carolina Yacht Club will be hosting their Easter Regatta Thursday through Sunday. Approximately 50 14’-26’ sailboats will be racing around the Charleston Harbor. For more information please contact race director Harvey McCormmick at (843) 795-7145.
7. 28-30 April – The Georgetown Landing Marina will be hosting the 3rd Annual Georgetown Meatfish Slam Thursday through Saturday. There will be approximately 50 participants in 21’ – 60’ boats participating in the offshore fishing tournament. For more information, please contact Mr. David Black at 843-546-1776.
8. 30 April – The Jimmie Snyder Sailing Club (JSSC) will sponsor it’s JSSC April Regatta. There will be 15 participants in 14’ Sunfish sailboats racing in the Lake Marion, SC Wypoo Area. For more information, please contact Mr. Greg Williams at 803-775-4508.
The Coast Guard will not restrict commercial or recreational traffic during the course of these events unless otherwise noted. For Coast Guard related issues please contact Sector Charleston Waterways Management Office at (843) 740-3188 or the 24 Hour Command Center Line at (843) 740-7050.