The just completed 2014 edition of the Vineyard Cup featured 66 competitors
and a full third of that number—22 boats--came from the ranks of the Holmes Hole
Sailing Association. Over the 3-day, 3-race event weekend (July 11-13), the hometown
fleet captured one first, two seconds and two thirds. Overall, HHSA skippers finished
in the money in all of the four divisions in which they competed.
The races featured a Jekyll-Hyde wind profile with Friday's race being canceled
due to winds so benign that the fleet was becalmed. The wind turned on its
heels mid-race Saturday to allow bobbing boats that had remained on the water
to suddenly come alive and finish. Sunday, the pursuit race enjoyed southwest
winds which rose to 25 knots and more as the fleet finally had some power to show
off its skills.
Frank Satula led the way aboard Soma Holiday, taking first place in the Spinnaker
Division followed by Steve Besse in 3rd in Apres.
The PHRF - Non-Spinnaker - Class 1 Division was a near-HHSA convention with 10 of
18 boats participating. Mo and Pam Flam guided their Alerion 28 Penelope to second
while Commodore Jerry Goodale came in fifth on Stormalong. Positions 8 and 9 and
11 through 18 was all HHSA.
In PHRF -Non-Spinnaker - Class 2 it was Andy Berry who skippered his Cal 33 Isobar to
a third-place finish. Trinity (David McDonough) and Escape (Tom and Laurie Welch)
battled each other all weekend and finished tied for fifth.
And in the One Design Division, John and Lisa Stout helmed Isabella to a second place
Beck Colson returned home to skipper the family Nonsuch Silhouette in the competition
and escaped a scary moment in Sunday's pursuit race when the steering cable broke. The
crew smartly threw out an anchor and then pulled out an emergency tiller (!) which enabled
the boat to return home safely.
**Sunday Robinson's Hole
**The next HHSA race will be on Thursday with a 6 PM start. Sunday features the annual
Robinson's Hole Rendezvous Race with a 10 AM start.
Pos Name Type Skipper/Owner Race 1 Race 2 Race 3
PHRF -Non-Spinnaker - Class 1
2. USA 437 Penelope Alerion Xps 28 Mo & Pam Flam 19/TLE 3 3 25.0
5. USA 65 Stormalong Pearson 31 Jerry Goodale 19/TLE 4 4 27.0
8. USA 442 At Last Alerion 28 James Dixon 19/TLE 19/DNF 8 46.0
9. USA (Blank)Providence Alerion 28 Stuart Halpert 19/TLE 19/DNF 9 47.0
11. USA 13 Magic Time Vnyd Vixen 29 D J Culkin 19/DNC 19/DNF 11 49.0
12. USA 22 Myfanwy Sloop Jim Pringle 19/DNF 19/DNF 12 50.0
14. USA 22703 Lagoonah Columbia 32 Frank DeSimone 19/TLE 19/DNF 14 52.0
15. USA 4 Avanti CD 270 David Lott 19/TLE 19/DNF 15 53.0
17. USA 635 Flying Bugster CD 25 Bill Coogan 19/DNF 19/DNF 19/DNF 57.0
18. USA 51 Silhouette Nonsuch Beck Colson 19/TLE 19/DNF 19/DNF 57.0
PHRF -Non-Spinnaker - Class 2
3. USA 42805 Isobar Cal 33 Andrew Berry 20/TLE 4 4 28.0
5. USA 93035 Trinity C&C 37 David McDonough 20/TLE 7 10 37.0
6. USA 89 Escape J 100 Thomas Welch 20/TLE 8 9 37.0
9. USA 57 Undine Morris Edward Cerullo 20/TLE 20/DNF 2 42.0
12. USA 22 Masquerade Morris36M/M Loberg 20/TLE 20/DNF 6 46.0
13. S38 King Kiwi Sloop Irving Gates 20/TLE 20/DNF 7 47.0
19. USA 50 Tango J 100 Philip Hale
20/DNC 20/DNS 20/DNS 60.0
PHRF - Spinnaker
1. USA 307 Soma Holiday Hanse 355 Francis Sutula 3 3 2 8.0
3. USA 50454 Après J 120 Stephen Besse 5 6 1 12.0
7. USA USA 598 Amonini J 70 Daniel Pesch 10/DNC 10/DNS 3 23.0
Sound Courses Racing One Design Division PHRF - Catboat
2. USA 4 Isabella Bella John Stout 2 2.0
6. USA NA Julia Lee Catboat Charles Bowman 6 6.0
FULL STATS - 2014 The Vineyard Cup Regatta on Yacht Scoring http://bit.ly/1nm9Kwz